Part Two - VOCAL TRAINING, Reasons Not To Do It and Rebuttal.

0

REASON NOT TO:
My producer/friend doesn't think I need a vocal coach.

REBUTTAL:
Most people have no idea how much better a voice can be with training. Vocal ability can be increased dramatically, vocal 'issues' like pitch, tone, control, range, volume, etc. can be dealt with successfully. Hearing the resulting final vocals can truly convert the cynical.

There is also the matter of protecting your most important musical asset from harm!

Have you ever heard of a singer losing his or her career because they lost their voice? One of my fellow student's producers once told him at a frustrating vocal session that he didn't think the artist's voice would ever come back.
Now there's a real boost to the confidence! This producer should have sent the artist directly to the best vocal coach he could find.

It doesn't take long for the beginnings of damage to occur. This is sobering: you can get the first signs of nodes from just 20 minutes of screaming. The sooner vocal damage is discovered and dealt with, the more likely it can be healed with corrective vocal training instead of surgery or extended, career-interrupting voice rest.

Surprising to almost everyone, with correct vocal training, a voice NEVER has to become strained, baring laryngitis caused by a respiratory infection.

Many times an artist who has done a lot of live performance needs help getting the magic of their live vocals into their studio vocals. It's easy to hit the talk-back button in the control room and tell a singer "give it more passion on this pass", "you're out of tune", "your voice is sounding thin and weak", "I don't believe you yet", etc.

The poor singer can be left emotionally, physically and vocally exhausted and experience a loss of confidence. An in-studio vocal coach, also called a vocal producer or consultant, can help even a modestly talented singer get amazingly effective vocals in the studio, and can help a great vocalist maximize studio vocals for commercial hit potential.

If you truly can't afford a vocal producer or consultant, or if your producer's ego would be crushed, at least grab a lesson or two before you go into the studio.

REASON NOT TO:
I'm just a songwriter or I've already screwed my voice up to badly or I'm too old to learn new tricks.

REBUTTAL:
When your vocal ability increases, you write better songs. The melodies are more interesting, you can focus on better lyrics because it feels good to sing.

REASON NOT TO:
I don't want to sing. I'm a speaker/actor/teacher/preacher/teleseminar host, not a singer.

REBUTTAL:
You're using the same voice people sing with!

If you experience vocal fatigue after speaking you need to know that a little vocal training could really help. I've worked with public speakers, preachers, acting coaches and teachers who talk all day, now they never feel strain.

REASON NOT TO:
I'm as good vocally as I want or need to be in my life, and I'm not experiencing any strain that bothers me.

REBUTTAL:
I have none. This is the only legitimate reason I can think of!

What are YOUR reasons?

0 comments: